Thursday 26 April 2012

knocking on wood

This past week has had two raisons d'etre, or rather I've had two raisons d'etre this past week: writing up and nailing down my design, which is now locked and loaded! The second is setting a world's record for the most mixed metaphors. Oh, and preparing for my confirmation viva.

If you're saying to yourself, 'Is that like a transfer meeting?', the answer is probably, 'Yes'. Same if you want to call it an upgrade conference, or any combination of those or similar terms.

If you're saying to yourself, 'What the hell is she going on about now?', the answer is this: between starting a PhD and getting called Doctor, there is one and only one milestone. At this milestone, you can get told to carry on with your studies, or you can get told to eff off. In that case, your university will no longer support your attempt to get your degree and will yoink your registration.

My confirmation viva is tomorrow morning. Hopefully I've got my mixed metaphors and dire descriptions (and asinine assonances) out of my system, leaving room for all sorts of brilliant and sensible ideas to come tumbling out of my mouth. Or maybe it will just provide the opportunity for my examiner to enjoy the sound of the echo between my ears. Either way, if you're reading this in 2015 and this is the last post, you can guess what happened.

No comments: